I'm participating in the beta program for ReconstructMe, a real-time 3D model capture system using the Kinect. There's not really anything I can say about the beta itself, but some new models were posted to the public portion of their blog specifically for 3D printing.
So here's a quick look at the process I went through to make one of the models print-friendly, followed by a short video of the print in progress.
The model is unclosed, with some holes in the top of the head in addition to the obvious hollow underside:
First I rotate the model inside of the bounding box so that "bottom" is the flattest potential surface:
Now I run the basic "fix part" tool in netfabb to get a closed model:
It's not perfect, so I decided to cut the model off at the cleanest point:
Now exported and opened in ReplicatorG:
Scaled and rotated:
Now the slicing process. It took at least two hours using the default Skeinforge 35 settings:
And finally, FIRE THE MAKERBOT!
I'm really looking forward to capturing my own 3D models. :)