In watching a marathon of Babylon 5, Yifat and I have come to appreciate the computer interfaces used on the show - especially that of BABCOM, the station's internal communications network.
So we made shirts.
Vector conversion by ravenink
The game is based on Yifat's real-life experiences during her service in the army. She did the design and artwork, while I handled the coding.
Simple extension for Chrome that opens new tabs at the far right.
Under certain conditions, closing a new tab will snap back to the originator.
Self-portrait from a distorted and cropped 3D scan made using Skanect and a Microsoft Kinect.
Printed on MakerBot Cupcake #169 using LAYWOO-D3 wooden filament.
I did little finishing work to hide the 3D printed-ness of this piece, choosing to keep it rough. It fits the nature of the sculpture, and it fits the temperamental nature of the wooden material. (See how it burns at the top, as the nozzle spends more time in one area.)
This project came about when TIFF needed some objects for the 3D printing table during the 2013 digiPlaySpace. I chose some kid-friendly models from Thingiverse, including a T-Rex that user IcanCwhatUsay had uploaded.
The printer I have access to for my day job is an extremely high-end industrial machine, so I wanted to do more than just a single material print.
I brought the model into Netfabb Studio and extracted the teeth and eyes triangles into separate meshes. That made it possible to 3D print in multiple materials on the Objet Connex 500.
In this case, the body was printed using a Shore 70 TangoBlackPlus rubber-like material, the eyes in Grey60 rigid plastic, and the teeth in VeroWhitePlus.
I took Steeve Becker's version, scaled it up to about life-size, and then sliced it into sections that fit the build area of my 3D printer.
The sections were assembled using superglue, and a textured spray paint was applied to approximate the original stone look.
"I will literally explode" - Ryan North describing his $500,000 Kickstarter stretch goal.
When I heard Ryan describe his promise on CBC Radio to literally explode if To Be Or Not To Be: That Is The Adventure reached $500,000 on Kickstarter, I knew that I could make it happen.
After some cleanup work, the scan was cropped to the head area, and a chamber to fit a plastic drink bottle was hollowed out of the centre.
To print the almost-full-size head, the model was sliced into sections, printed one at a time, and then assembled using superglue.
Lauren Archer -- a friend and fellow member at Site 3 -- made the explosion work by placing dry ice pellets into the inner drink bottle with some water. Once the cap was closed, it took eight minutes for the pressure to build up enough for the head to explode.
This was the first life-size sculpture that I made on my MakerBot Cupcake.
The model is modified from a 3D scan that Cosmo Wenmen did of a marble portrait in the British Musem.
Cosmo's first gigantic 3D print of a life-size horse head sculpture on a MakerBot Replicator 1 is what inspired me to try something life-size on the (much smaller) MakerBot Cupcake.
Once the pieces were printed and assembled, I applied a modelling compound to the outside and added acrylic paint.
The collector's edition of Diablo 3 shipped with a USB key and holder in the shapes of a soulstone and skull.
When the soulstone is placed in a USB port, it glows. Sitting in the skull, it does nothing.
I thought that that was a bit of an oversight, so I modded the skull to turn it into a USB receptacle so that the soulstone could be plugged into the skull and connected to a computer at the same time.
The challenge was to create a game in three days that made use of the theme "The world's NOT ending". We chose to make a combat-free experience that has players explore a ruined world, struggling to get back on its feet.
The visual style is based on ANSI character graphics, specifically those found in Tim Sweeney's classic ZZT.
A short film by Dylan Reibling that premiered at Toronto International Film Festival 2012.
After doing a test print for Dylan (pictured in yellow ABS), I was brought on to operate my MakerBot Cupcake 3D printer on set for some scenes of the film.
Using cube-based modeller 3DTin and in-game sprite references, I created 3D models of Pac-Man characters for use as spacers.
Each model is two layers of cubes thick, with depressions in the eyes and mouth areas for painting.
An OpenSCAD project that creates unique 3D models from arbitrary sources of data, such as music and photos.
The MD5 checksum of a file is used as a source of unique parameters that modify a neutral set of stalks into strange twists and turns.
Spacers remixed from Thingiverse user sideburn's Invaders! (v2) design.
Over the years I've printed these in a ton of colours and materials (ABS, PLA, Laywoo-D3, Vero, Tango) in a variety of processes.
Time Pacifist is a game that I made for SA GameDev Challenge V, a month-long game jam that takes place on the Something Awful forums.
The theme for 2010 was "You can't X".
I chose to riff on Konami's classic Time Pilot arcade game by making a version in which the player can't shoot at any of the enemy planes.
Without weapons, the gameplay is changed to more of a dodge-em-up, in which the formerly optional parachuters must be rescued in order to advance.
Some sprites were re-purposed directly from Time Pilot, while the new enemy planes were created by artist Matt Quesnel.